Toddlers: 24 Months+

When to start holding hands for safety?

When did your DC's start holding your hand when you were walking like in a busy mall or parking lot.  I'm trying to teach DD but I don't know if it's too early or if it's about this time.  She gets so mad when I reach for her hand and she doesn't quite understand it.  Should I just wait till she's older or do I try now?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When to start holding hands for safety?

• in a busy mall or parking lot, dd held my hand if she was walking and if she pulled away, she was picked up & carried or placed in the stroller.  Safety first.  Now, if the mall was dead, I'd let her walk within arm reach without holding hands.  but parking lot... no question... hold my hand or be carried. Now that we have ds, she helps push the stroller . 
  • Ditto PP except we don't have another child so if she chooses to yank away she is just picked up. But for the most part she does well!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is either in the stroller or holding my hand.  We were at a craft fair over the weekend and had parked the stoller in one of the vendor booths (a family memeber's).  DD was either holding my hand at all times or I was carrying her.  She's gotten to the point where if I tell her to hold my hand, she'll do it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think having ds helped with this lesson... she was too excited to help push the baby...  they are 19 1/2 months apart.   Ds is starting to really get good at walking... he's a little more stubborn than Dd.  So, I have a feeling he'll be in the stroller a lot. Wink

As far as dd getting upset when you try to hold her hand... if you pick her up every time she pulls away and fusses, she'll pick up that if she does this, that means she cannot walk... she'll figure it out.  They are smart little cookies. Geeked

• She HATED holding our hands until about 14 months.  Now she loves holding hands when we let her walk.
  • I make DD hold hands for safety, although I never let her walk in parking lots. She doesn't like the confinement, that's for sure!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What do you mean "start"?  I don't want to be harsh, but you need to examine your thinking about this!!!

When they aren't sitting in a stroller or the grocery cart you HAVE to hold their hands.  If your child won't "let" you hold her hand, all progress stops and she gets picked up or put in the stroller/cart.  It's non-negotiable!!!  A child small enough to resist holding hands is WAY to small to be walking solo.  The same poor judgment and impulse control that is causing her not to want to hold your hand is going to prevent her from being safe!!!

Also, you might want to evaluate what else she won't "let" you do.  You're the mother.

Post again if you need some help/advice on how to "make" her do things.  There are lots of ladies with good suggestions for getting cooperation out of your toddler on here!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imageneverblushed:

What do you mean "start"?  I don't want to be harsh, but you need to examine your thinking about this!!!

When they aren't sitting in a stroller or the grocery cart you HAVE to hold their hands.  If your child won't "let" you hold her hand, all progress stops and she gets picked up or put in the stroller/cart.  It's non-negotiable!!!  A child small enough to resist holding hands is WAY to small to be walking solo.  The same poor judgment and impulse control that is causing her not to want to hold your hand is going to prevent her from being safe!!!

Also, you might want to evaluate what else she won't "let" you do.  You're the mother.

Post again if you need some help/advice on how to "make" her do things.  There are lots of ladies with good suggestions for getting cooperation out of your toddler on here!

Chill out.  Do you seriously think she's saying that if her daughter pulls her hand away she just lets her walk by herself? 

• ditto beth.  shes still a baby. she isnt going to learn that quickly that she has to hold hands while she walks. It takes times.  DS is almost 15 mos and its still a struggle sometimes.

OP- have you considered a harness? I really didnt want to "leash" DS but its the safest thing for him right now. He mostly stays in his stroller or the cart, but he gets antsy after a while.  We got a cute monkey backpack (Eddie Bauer) and he gets a little freedom, and I get to keep him safe. It might be worth a try. HTH

• imageneverblushed:

What do you mean "start"?  I don't want to be harsh, but you need to examine your thinking about this!!!

Oh.My.God, over reaction much?  Wow, that was really mean. 

• As soon as my older DD started walking, we started holding her hand.  It is harder the longer you wait.  They will always fight it (if they are anything like my DD).  And as a PP said, if she won't hold my hand, she gets picked up or put in a stroller.  Her screaming is better than her getting hit by a car.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • DD never walks in a parking lot or to cross the street.  Period.  We always pick her up or have her in a stroller.  Even if there is no traffic or moving cars.  This one is non-negotiable.

Anywhere else, I use my judgement.  She's not a kid who runs and if I say STOP she listens, so if we're somewhere that isn't too crowded, I don't insist that she hold my hand.  If I feel like there are too many people, if we're near traffic or if I just don't feel comfortable with how she's acting then I take her hand.

If I want to hold her hand, she doesn't have a choice.  :-)  Sometimes she resists, in that case she gets one more chance to comply or she gets carried. 

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
  • imageneverblushed:

Hands over a chill pill.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"